Saturday, June 22, 2013

How much cholesterol is in egg whites as opposed to the yolks?

Q. One of my co-workers told me that there are equal amounts of cholesterol in both the white and the yolk.

I told her that wasn't true because the yolk is what has all the calories, fat, and cholesterol in it, so I'm doing a good thing by eating egg white omelettes, as opposed to regular ones that include the yolk.

Or am I? Who's right?

A. Your coworker is an idiot. There is zero cholesterol in the white.

But the yolk has good stuff, too, like iron and omega fatty acids, so don't skip it all the time.

Why is cholesterol important for your health and the function of your body?
Q. Why is cholesterol important for your health and the function of your body? Is cholesterol in your diet really that bad?

A. Cholesterol doesn't make you fat or anything, but it contributes to heart disease in the future. If you have a high cholesterol, you have a high chance of heart disease. To prevent this, try eating mono-unsaturated fats, and poly-unsaturated fats. These are good fats that lower bad cholesterol, and increase your good cholesterol. Sources of mono and poly unsaturated fats are nuts - almonds, pecans, peanuts, and walnuts, and cooking oil, lol.

How much cholesterol should the average person allow in their diet a day?
Q. Also my Cholesterol is 225, does that mean I should have less than the average person? How much is the right amount?
They did not tell me what my good cholesterol vs my bad cholesterol is but im concerned with how much intake I should allow.

A. Hi MaggieMay,

Itâs currently recommended, for individuals with normal cholesterol levels, to limit dietary cholesterol intake to 300 mg or less daily. If you have high LDL cholesterol, the current recommendations are to limit dietary cholesterol to 200 mg or less per day.

All the best,
Lisa Nelson RD
http://www.lisanelsonrd.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment