Thursday, July 25, 2013

What's the difference between gout and arthritis?

Q. Could someone please explain the main difference(s) between Gout and Arthritis. My late father had Gout, which mainly affected his knees, and was always getting grouchy when people claimed he was arthritic, saying it was totally different.

Also, as his 27 year old son, I am concerned that I am going to get it, or already have gout. Bearing in mind that my father never drank port, or any of the other cliches, any suggestions as to how I could put it off as long as possible?

A. An Uncle (by marriage) had gout. It would swell up in his feet
and some days he had to stay in bed because it was so bad.
He came from a well-to-do family, so it may have something
to do with it. He ate and drank well all his life, and loved
kidneys, oxtail, pigs trotters etc. If you refrain from doing
what my Uncle did, you should be OK.

Arthritis is the cartilage wearing away. A lot of people have
it, and they mostly have it in their arms, tho' some have it
in their legs.

What are the symptoms and causes af gout?
Q. I have some serious pain in my big toe but it doesn't seem that swollen, Also I do suffer from acute arthritis but the pain seems different than that. Any help or info would be appreciated
Thanks.

A. Does it feel so painful that you would think it was broken?
My arthritis turned out to be gout and was only diagnosed when I went to a GP on holiday! He took one look and said "That's gout go and see my nurse and get a blood test"
It was positive.
I was astounded!
He gave me a prescription for Allopurinol and I've taken it ever since.
I'm teetotal and steer clear of purines
It doesn't necessarily come from your diet-your body is producing the uric acid itself.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment